Monday, September 7, 2009

Cauliflower Soup

I first made cauliflower soup back in the mid 1980's when I was living in Hobart. I'd not long moved there for work and was looking through the local newspaper - The Hobart Mercury - and there it was in it's Easter recipe section.

Since then I've made it quite a few times because, well because it's delicious. And easy.

It's on the same principal as pumpkin soup...but paler.

OK...Firstly, take your cauliflower and chop it up


Chop an onion and sweat it off in a large pot with a little olive oil and a knob of butter.

Add the cauliflower, swirl it around, add a litre of water and a stock cube. I use Massel cubes because I like them.

Bring it to the simmer and then when the cauliflower's cooked, give it a wizz with a stick mixer or you can use your blender. But be careful. If your blender has a glass container/jug, make sure you allow the soup to cool a little before putting it in there otherwise you may crack it. I speak from experience here. Depending on the thickness of the soup you may want to add a little milk or extra water, entirely up to you and your taste.

Now you can either put a handful of tasty cheese in each bowl before ladling the soup over the top, or you can add the cheese to the pot of soup and then dish it up in all it's stringiness...your call.

I also add a dollop of sour cream to each bowl, for a little added something.

Sorry, but I don't have a photo of the finished product. It got eaten before I could get the camera out

Enjoy

5 comments:

  1. Soup weather has almost finished up here in Central Qld, but I do love cauliflower soup. Mine's a little different...In the pot I'm to make it in, I first crisp a couple of bacon rashers, remove them, then get on with the soup making, much similar to yours. After wizzing it all up in its delicious thickness, the crip bacon is crumbled over the top, or added to the bowl before serving. ( No good if you are a vegetarian !)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could spell !!!!!!!!!! If you read it fast it doesn't look too bad !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours sounds good too! I'll try it with bacon next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, followed your link from the Arm Chair Trader, you do have some tasty treats on your blog space. Thanks for sharing the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete