Saturday, November 28, 2009

Christmas Menu #2 - Potato Pancakes

I've had a lot on my mind lately, what with getting Number 3 renovated and cleaning up Number 10. Now, my thoughts have well and truly turned to food. Specifically, Christmas food!

Image-Cuisine.com.au

On the Saturday before Christmas, MONT's daughters and their husbands and little ones descend on Number 10 for dinner. It's a night I always look forward to and I like to go all out and do something special.

Back in December 2006, I saw this Stephanie Alexander recipe in in the Age food supplement, Epicure, so I thought I'd give it a try. I was not disappointed and have been making them ever since.

There's only one thing with these though: don't let the mixture sit around for too long because the potato discolours.

Potato Pancakes:

500 grams waxy potatoes
1 egg
2 tablespoons potato flour
pinch salt
oil for frying

Peel the potatoes and roughly chop (do them in a few batches to avoid discolouration), then put in a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to shake the blender around a bit if lumps of spud get stuck in the bottom beneath the blades. Then add the egg, flour and salt and blend again.

Heat a non stick pan, add the oil and drop spoonfuls of the mix in and fry for a couple of minutes on each side. The little pancakes should be nicely browned and quite crisp on the edges.

Drain on kitchen paper, cool and then add whatever topping you like. I usually use cream cheese, smoked salmon, prawns, avocado...or whatever takes your fancy

You can make these pancakes the day before and refrigerate them, then reheat in a moderate oven for a few minutes before allowing them to cool a little and adding the topping.

Thanks Stephanie, I love these and so does everyone else.

4 comments:

  1. These sound really yummy! When I was a kid, I remember going to the Pancake Parlour with my Nanna and ordering potato pancakes which were delicious. Will have to give this recipe a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leslie....good recipe, but I notice the potatoes HAVE TO BE PUT IN A BLENDER! Nuff sed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww come on. It's a good recipe White Dove. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was only joking...(thought you'd given the girl her first outing)...but it looks so simple I think I'll take it with me to Melbourne...they look as if they'd be a good breakfast dish too!

    ReplyDelete