Thursday, October 29, 2009

Egg & Bacon Pie

The first time I made an egg and bacon pie was in the 1970's. I was living at home and Mum and I had a bit of a cook-up.

I've made lots since then...and I made one this afternoon so MONT and I could take it to Number 3 tomorrow for our lunch.
I usually use sheet pastry: a shortcrust sheet on the bottom and a puff pastry sheet on the top.

Here's how I make mine.

Preheat oven to 180deg celsius.
Chop up 3 or 4 rashers of bacon and a few mushrooms and fry them off for a couple of minutes. Then chop up some capsicum and some zucchini and add that to the pan and cook for another minute.

Grease the pie dish and arrange the shortcrust pastry on the bottom, then put in 1 cup of grated cheese.



Take a cup of milk, half a cup of cream and 6 eggs and whisk together. When the bacon and mushroom mix is cooled a little, place it in the pie dish on top of the cheese, then pour the milk and egg mixture over the top.



Place the puff pastry over the top, press the edges together and prick the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
Then bake for about 35 minutes, until browned on top


There you have it...Egg and Bacon Pie...I especially love eating this cold for lunch.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't done one of these for years Lesley - but this beauty has me putting it right back on the menu @ Casa MilliedeMOTH pronto - thanks!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Millie...the beauty of this is, it's simple, but looks really difficult. MOTH will think you're a genius who's been slaving away for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Siobhan, and glad you like my delish pie. Come on over and look around Life at Number 10 too...Hope to see you there.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete